My first real food blog post!!! Wooohooo!
Ok – so I’m hungry quite often these days. I think I’m eating a “snack” about every 2 hours (or less!). It’s sometimes difficult to come up with different snacks (and healthy ones) to eat throughout the day. The nice thing is, I’m finding I’m not able to pig-out during a meal – AND, I haven’t gained any weight (yet)!
So what’s for dinner tonight? One of Brian’s favorites – and one of my childhood favorites…. Tater Tot Hotdish. Let me share it with you. Just let me preface this by stating that rarely do I measure out things, and this is one of those recipes that you’ll need to adjust according to the size of your baking dish and the number of people you are serving! The following is based on a 9×13 pan.
- 1 pound ground veggie burger (or beef or turkey if you please)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans cream of whatever soup you’d like
- 3 cups (total) of whatever veggies you’d like (sugg: carrots, corn, beans, lima beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 bag tater tots
– Saute onion and veggie burger (or meat) on low heat for 5 minutes.
– Mix all above ingredients together (except for tater tots) in baking dish.
– Spread tater tots on top of dish.
– Bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour (if using frozen veggies)
So – my mom used to make this when we were kids. However, I have changed it up a bit since then. Her version? Well, she would put about a 1/2 inch layer patted down of ground beef in the bottom of the pan, then on top of that she poured a can (or 2?) of vegetable (beef?) soup, then she would place the tater tots in neat rows on top!
Ok – it’s almost done – I can smell it from the the bedroom so I should go check on it! My stomach is growling, so I’m hoping it will be done soon! (Maybe I should turn the temp up & get it done faster!!!)